Question

Error when trying to write text to a file gdb

• 27 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am very new to FME and I've run into some troubles I can't figure out how to solve. I've got a dwg file that I'm trying to write to a file gdb. The geometries vary, but the features containing text are the ones I'm having an issue with. When I try to write these I get the error: "GEODATABASE_FILE writer: An unknown exception occurred" and "Error running translation" which leaves me a bit clueless. Some features works fine, most don't I can't seem to figure out why. The writer's geometry parameter is set to geodb_annotation. Does anyone recognise this problem and know how to solve it?

3 replies

Badge

Have you tried adding a geometry filter just before your writer to make sure that you are only sending text to the writer.

Yes I have. One of the ones I'm struggling with contains both text and polygons where I only send the text through to the writer from the geometry filter. ​However I can see in arcgis that it does create en empty feature class in the database before the translation crashes. This feature class gets the feature type 'simple' instead of 'annotation'. I am surely messing something up but I can't figure out what.

Thank you for replying!​

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@balexandraem​ if you haven't yet, I recommend taking a look at our Working with Geodatabase Feature-Linked Annotation article.

Unfortunately the log file is not giving us much information to work off of. Are you able to re-run the workspace with Log Debug enabled? This will provide much more detail on what's happening when the translation crashes. To turn on Log Debug, go to Tools (in the FME Workbench toolbar) > FME Options > Translation > Log Message Filter > make sure Log Debug is checked.