Question

Issues with the LineCombiner - possible bug

• 26 April 2023
  • 8 replies

I'm finding that the LineCombiner is causing issues when combined with an AreaBuilder. The non-combined lines in a workspace I have created successfully create areas but, when the lines are combined, they then make up incomplete areas.

You can see in the below image that, once one of the line datasets go through the LineCombiner, they do not successfully create the areas.

LineCombiner bug 

Is this a bug?

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

If you insert an Intersector between the LineCombiner and the AreaBuilder, do you get the expected results? The Intersected port would be fed into the AreaBuilder.

If you insert an Intersector between the LineCombiner and the AreaBuilder, do you get the expected results? The Intersected port would be fed into the AreaBuilder.

Yes, no intersections are encountered. 18 rows go in, 18 come out

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Hmm, I'd be curious to see what happens if you feed both the 18 combined lines and the other 132 lines into the Intersector. 95% of the time when I have issues with the AreaBuilder, an Intersector prior will take care of it.

The Intersector does work so that is a useful addition, thanks for the help. I still think that the LineCombiner-AreaBuilder combination appears to be a bit buggy.

LineCombiner - IntersectorLineCombiner - No intersector

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @bi​ There's nothing buggy about it - the AreaBuilder requires input lines to be properly noded. In your case the Intersector created 159 lines from 150.

The data were properly noded before the linecombiner and the areabuilder worked. Something in the linecombiner transformer changed that​, suggesting the start and/or end nodes were edited in some way

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

@bi​ Please file a case at https://community.safe.com/s/submit-case if you think is bug. Thanks!

Userlevel 4

You could also pass all your line segments (before the LineCombiner) through a Snapper set to end point snapping. If you get anything out of the Snapped output port, it would indicate that the line segments aren't correctly noded.