Question

Why does my script get hung up when running it from FME Desktop on a Server, but it works fine when I run it from my desktop?

• 20 April 2023
  • 4 replies

I have a script that was written for us by a consultant and it’s very intensive. The FeatureReaders are pointing to a connection file to read our SDE, as well as some file geodatabases that are stored locally on the server. The script uses a WorkspaceRunner to access a child script to then do some calculations. However, when I run this from FME desktop on our server, it never completes. It doesn’t throw an error, but it just gets hung up at the WorkspaceRunner. If I try again, the same thing will happen. There’s no common point in the script where this happens. It’s very random.

I’ve also attempted to run this script from my desktop, and it works. It’s very very slow, but it does work. However, we need to be able to run this from our server, not my desktop.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for in our Server environment? Our server has much more resources than my desktop, so I’m surprised it’s not working – so I must be missing something. Any leads on this would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Can you share an example of a failure from the log file?

Badge +22

Are you accessing network resources? Our servers have much tighter firewall restrictions than our desktop environment.

If you manually launch the child workspace on the server, does it complete?

It actually wasn't giving me any error in the log, but then it was suggested that I turn the de-bugging option on, so now I can see some errors. Attached is an example of where the errors begin:

Badge +22

It actually wasn't giving me any error in the log, but then it was suggested that I turn the de-bugging option on, so now I can see some errors. Attached is an example of where the errors begin:

Do you have an arcgis license on the server?