Question

Census Field Alias Replacement : how best to potentially employ the schemaMapper or/and AttributeExposer to create an alias look up table from a CSV file .

• 20 April 2023
  • 6 replies
  • 1 view

Badge

Wondering how the schemaMapper can replace the field name for 165 Census fields within the Attribute Manager environment? Seems the examples require remapping the entire list?

Is this kind of like a tabular Join in GIS?

6 replies

Badge

image.pngExisting ETL with attribute manager and csv file for alias creation

Badge +12

To be honest, I am not 100% sure on what you are trying to achieve. But if it to rename the fields held in the "CSV_FIELD" to the name held in "DESCRIPTION" (e.g. BLOCK20 to Census Block Geocode), then just use schemamapper and choose this file. Set up attribute mapping and CSV_FIELD is your source and DESCRIPTION is your destination.

Badge

Hi Todd, I accessed your tool and created an action.

However, I believe part of the issue I'm having is getting the originating Fields names to be changed to a value in the source field which is NOT in the same table as the destination. It's in a separate CSV table.

SchemaMapper Source table is different than Destination table.  The destination table has a field that I want to replace an alias with.

Badge

Data Dictionary Alias Source table Alias Source table field is CSV .

Field in Destination table has 165 fields to rename :imageIt's a one to one field NAME replacement ...

I think I might need to add another element for each field?

I'm trying to rename the FIELD NAME, not rename the attribute value.

So based on the Source ( Alias table) P0020001 would be changed to Population P2 (Destination Field Name Alias)

P0020002 would be changed to Hispanic Origin etc.

Badge +12

Data Dictionary Alias Source table Alias Source table field is CSV .

Field in Destination table has 165 fields to rename :imageIt's a one to one field NAME replacement ...

I think I might need to add another element for each field?

I'm trying to rename the FIELD NAME, not rename the attribute value.

So based on the Source ( Alias table) P0020001 would be changed to Population P2 (Destination Field Name Alias)

P0020002 would be changed to Hispanic Origin etc.

Hi,

I believe this is what you need but I will go into more depth, as there some things that are not obvious.

So the schemamapper with attribute mapping is what you want and you would select the dbf as source and the csv as destination. Here is my example

imageBut what the schema mapper doesn't do is "expose" those "new" attributes to the workspace. (They are now there but not visible as an attribute in the canvas environment).Easiest way is to use the AttributeExposer and "Import". Choose the CSV and import "Attribute values" from the relevant field.

imageAttached is my example workspace.

Cheers,

Todd

Badge

Thank you.