Question

Cannot write string value of NULL to Postgres column with not null constraint if Bulk Insert set to Yes - Known Issue?

• 19 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

With a postgres writer it appears that if Bulk Insert is set to Yes, if you attempt to write a string value of NULL to a varchar column that has a Not Null constraint it is interpreted as a genuine null and results in a fatal error

Error was 'ERROR:  null value in column "value" violates not-null constraint

If Bulk Insert is set to No, the value is written as a string as expected

Is this a known issue? This is in FME(R) 2021.2.6.0 (20220727 - Build 21821) so may have already been addressed.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @ebygomm​. Apologies for not noticing this earlier. I'm sorry you came across this issue. I managed to reproduce it, and have filed a ticket with our development team (internal reference: FMEENGINE-78517). We'll try to provide an update here when the ticket has been addressed.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @ebygomm​, I'm happy to report that the issue @nampreetatsafe​ had filed on your behalf has been addressed by development, and a fix is available in Betas for testing which is now available here: engage.safe.com/support/downloads/beta

Please let us know how that goes and reach out any time if you have any feedback on the fix. Thanks!