Question

FME Desktop 2022.1 crashes when trying to read Esri File Geodatabase - Reader works fine with any other format including Arc SDEs but crashes when setting format to File Geodatabase and trying to browse local drive

• 17 April 2023
  • 7 replies

FME Desktop 2022.1 crashes when trying to read Esri File Geodatabase - Reader works fine with any other format including Arc SDEs but crashes when setting format to File Geodatabase and trying to browse local drive

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi, according to your statement something goes wrong. Question: do you know the cause of this issue already? When I add a reader to read a sample Esri FGDB (with the version you mention, FME Desktop 2022.1) everything works as expected. So, the crash might be caused by the FGDB you try to read... Is the FGDB corrupt? Are you able to open it in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro? Pleas let us know.

Hi, thanks for coming back, it's nothing to do with the FGDB as we can browse the drive and open FGDBs in ArcMap and Pro. FME Desktop crashes before even having a chance to point to the one FGDB to read... As soon as I tap on the three dots to browse the drive

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hmmm, weird. So, the issue is in the "browse local drive" part. Is this only true for FGDBs? What happens if you try to read a CSV, an Excel or e.g. a MapInfo TAB file from your file system? Same issue? And another important question in cases like this is always: since when does the issue occur? Did it still work yesterday/last week or has it never worked at all? Could it be that a recent change in the setup of your system has caused this issue?

Hmmm, weird. So, the issue is in the "browse local drive" part. Is this only true for FGDBs? What happens if you try to read a CSV, an Excel or e.g. a MapInfo TAB file from your file system? Same issue? And another important question in cases like this is always: since when does the issue occur? Did it still work yesterday/last week or has it never worked at all? Could it be that a recent change in the setup of your system has caused this issue?

Only true for FGDBs... AutoCAd DWGs, CSV, Excel etc all work fine, we are able to browse the drive, select files and read them no problem. Brand new setup, we are still testing and troubleshooting.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hmmm, out of suggestions from my side... :-( As I have indicated, everything runs fine on my system. So it looks like an issue specific to your environment. Hope you will find the cause, ... and a solution. (It might have something to do with the OS, maybe... What operating system are you running? What version?)

Hmmm, out of suggestions from my side... :-( As I have indicated, everything runs fine on my system. So it looks like an issue specific to your environment. Hope you will find the cause, ... and a solution. (It might have something to do with the OS, maybe... What operating system are you running? What version?)

Thank you. I think it's standard Windows 10. We will investigate further and i will make sure to update this thread when we resolve for others who could experience the same issue later

Badge +1

Hi,

Did you find a solution?

I’m having exactly the same issue with FME 2022.2.5.0 (20230329 - Build 22795 - WIN64). Worked fine last week. No updates since then.

Thanks