Solved

How to Write features in a specific order / Hierarchy?

• 30 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi Community,

I'm working on a workflow that needs to write a final Feature class based on a particular hierarchy. The workflow includes a few 'AreaOnAreaOverlayer' steps + ListConcatenator to indicate which parcel overlaps which, below a screenshot with the desired hierarchy:

1 - Most important parcels A

2- Middle important parcels B

3- Less important parcels C

Parcels hierarchy (A, B, C) 

I can't run dissolve + clip as need to keep the overlapping information to be 'listconcatenated' so decided to use a Sorter (alphabetical order) to obtain the desired order but isn't working 😞 as there's areas where the parcels C are on top of the parcels B.

Below an example where the overlap in the middle between 2 parcels (B + C) should be assigned to B but for some reason is C

Conflict between B and C categoriesThere must be a way to tell FME please write parcel A on top of parcels B and then parcels B on top of parcels C and parcels A on top parcels C.

A>B>C

Thanks a lot in advanced 🙂

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 31 March 2023, 10:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Normally speaking FME writes out features in the order they arrive at the writer. So if you use a Sorter right before writing your data you can influence which features get written first.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Thanks @Hans van der Maarel​ for the answer, unfortunately the workflow works 95% ok but there're still some instances where the hierarchy doesn't work perfect. As I have different steams with different sorters along the workflow, do you recommend to have a single Sorter right at the of the writer? I think have tried this option already with no luck.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Thanks @Hans van der Maarel​ for the answer, unfortunately the workflow works 95% ok but there're still some instances where the hierarchy doesn't work perfect. As I have different steams with different sorters along the workflow, do you recommend to have a single Sorter right at the of the writer? I think have tried this option already with no luck.

Yes, a single Sorter right before the writer.