Question

What advantage does the FME server provide which can not be achieved through the FME desktop on a virtual machine?

Badge

Since the FME desktop workbench can be run through windows schedular on the VM. Hence what can be the excluding factor for the FME server? Appreciate your views on the same. Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Automations, calling processes from external applications, centralised view of schedules, self service web apps, CPU Time/Dynamic Engines.

From a simple "I need one job to run everyday at this time" point of view, I can see the benefit of using taskscheduler with Desktop, but you start moving into an enterprise environment, Server becomes a very valuable resource

Badge

Automations, calling processes from external applications, centralised view of schedules, self service web apps, CPU Time/Dynamic Engines.

From a simple "I need one job to run everyday at this time" point of view, I can see the benefit of using taskscheduler with Desktop, but you start moving into an enterprise environment, Server becomes a very valuable resource

Thank you for your response; currently, we are using the FME server as a scheduling tool to run a workbench on a daily scale.