Question

Is it possible to supply a field name as input parameters in the Feature Reader transformer to read in ArcGIS Online data?

I am trying to create a workbench which will read in the data from a table in an ArcGIS Online feature service, where the feature service is determined by input User Parameters at each run of the workbench. The output will be an excel export of the data from the ArcGIS Online feature service table.

I have hundreds of different feature services, identifiable by a unique alphanumerical code and feature service ID. The aim is for the user to input the alphanumerical code for the data they want to export when running the workbench (e.g DA019). This code will act as a look up to a table that contains the feature service ID for the required data.

I have then attempted to reconstruct the syntax of the AGOL connection as seen in an ArcGIS Online Feature Service Reader.

E.g [AGOL Group Name]/[Feature Service Name]([feature service ID])

I then have passed that as a field called fsid_search into a Feature Reader under the 'Feature Service:' constraint. I've included a screenshot of my current settings in the Feature Reader.

FeatureReaderSettings 

When I set the fsid_search field as the Feature Service constraint, fme_feature_type_name information is returned from the Feature Reader but no data is returned, despite having the Features to Read: being set to Schema and Data Features. I can successfully return data from the Feature Reader when I connect to a specific AGOL feature service. However, I do need to be able to connect to different feature services depending on the user inputs.

Have I made an error in the AGOL connection reconstruction/is it not possible to use a field name as the input parameters on the Feature Reader for AGOL data?

Any help/suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Thank you in advance!

2 replies

Badge +4

@robyn_d​ Hi there, thanks for your question! Just to confirm my understanding of the ask, you would like to set-up a method by which users can supply a unique alphanumeric AGOL Feature Service code to a user parameter at runtime. This code would then be fed to a lookup table, which contains the corresponding feature service ID for the desired AGOL feature service. Is that correct?

I can see the fsid_search attribute that you've assigned as the Feature Service parameter of the AGOL reader, but I think it would be helpful to see the user parameters that you've created, their definitions, and how they've been applied here. Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of the workspace here? If there are sensitive parameters (user credentials, etc) involved, you can remove those no problem. I'd just like to see what type of user parameters are in use, where they're being applied, and how FME is picking them up.

@robyn_d​ Hi there, thanks for your question! Just to confirm my understanding of the ask, you would like to set-up a method by which users can supply a unique alphanumeric AGOL Feature Service code to a user parameter at runtime. This code would then be fed to a lookup table, which contains the corresponding feature service ID for the desired AGOL feature service. Is that correct?

I can see the fsid_search attribute that you've assigned as the Feature Service parameter of the AGOL reader, but I think it would be helpful to see the user parameters that you've created, their definitions, and how they've been applied here. Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of the workspace here? If there are sensitive parameters (user credentials, etc) involved, you can remove those no problem. I'd just like to see what type of user parameters are in use, where they're being applied, and how FME is picking them up.

Hi @natalieatsafe​ ,

Thank you for your reply and apologies for my delayed response. Yes your summary of the ask is exactly what I am hoping to do. After the feature service ID is extracted from the look up table, the aim is to use that to read the data associated with the feature service back into the workbench and convert it to excel. All of the feature services contained in the lookup table are located in the same ArcGIS Online group. Due to that, I've hard coded the AGOL group when attempting to construct a path to the data that is on ArcGIS Online.

I've attached the workbench below which goes as far as a feature reader to read the data back into the workbench.

Thank you for your help looking into this.