Question

Why is a SketchUp 3D building model not in the correct location after changing the coordinate system?

• 17 March 2023
  • 4 replies

I am running into an issue while trying to import a 3D model made in SketchUp into ArcGIS Pro.

My planned workflow was to:

1. Reproject the spatial reference of the .skp file from XY-M to NAD83 CSRS Zone 10.
  2. Deaggregate the mass buildings to individual buildings.
  3. Convert the .skp (SketchUp) to .dae (COLLADA)
  4. Use the Import 3D Files 3D Analyst Tool in ArcGIS Pro to import the .dae model into Arc.

Once imported into ArcGIS Pro, the spatial reference of the model appears to be in NAD83 CSRS Zone 10, but the model still ends up in the middle of the ocean, as if it didn't change projections. How should I go about importing the models so they end up in the correct location? Will I have to geo-reference each model?

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @spencerreichert​,

The XY-M coordinate system is an arbitrary non-earth meters coordinate system, and cannot be reprojected to any world based coordinate system, since it's location is not known. This is the coordinate system given to Sketchup files that do not have their geo-location set.

If you know the location of the Sketchup file origin, you can use a LocalCoordinateSystemSetter to create a custom coordinate system based on that point. The origin location can be in any coordinate system supported by FME. Once the custom coordinate system is added to the feature, you can use the Reprojector to convert to UTM before writing to Collada.

Hi @spencerreichert​,

The XY-M coordinate system is an arbitrary non-earth meters coordinate system, and cannot be reprojected to any world based coordinate system, since it's location is not known. This is the coordinate system given to Sketchup files that do not have their geo-location set.

If you know the location of the Sketchup file origin, you can use a LocalCoordinateSystemSetter to create a custom coordinate system based on that point. The origin location can be in any coordinate system supported by FME. Once the custom coordinate system is added to the feature, you can use the Reprojector to convert to UTM before writing to Collada.

Hello @daveatsafe​,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, you clarified lots for me.

Should I contact the creator of the model to find the location of the Sketchup file origin?

I do see the XY-M coordinates in the data inspector, the min extents are -99.21427688931453, -11.980305481161984. However, I am unsure if these are the values I input into the LocalCoordinateSystemSetter.

Cheers

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hello @daveatsafe​,

Should I contact the creator of the model to find the location of the Sketchup file origin?

I do see the XY-M coordinates in the data inspector, the min extents are -99.21427688931453, -11.980305481161984. However, I am unsure if these are the values I input into the LocalCoordinateSystemSetter.

Cheers

The Sketchup coordinates will be local coordinates centered around the origin point. I would recommend contacting the creator of the model to see if they have the actual world location of the origin point. If the model is of an existing landmark (or can be related to one), you may also be able to figure out the lat/long of the origin using Google Earth.

Hello @daveatsafe​,

Cheers

The model is of a building which is not yet constructed. I will reach out to the creator of the model for the actual world location of the origin point.

Thanks again, much appreciated.