Question

Creating IFC reader with all IFC Feature Types for batch processing IFCs

• 15 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi,

I have a few 100 IFCs that I need to process - all of which have a slightly different range of IFC Feature types.

Because their is not one IFC that contains all IFC features types, this has led to me having multiple readers to cover all feature types as shown in the image.

I worry that this is not following best practice and is a risk when it comes to batch processing as each reader will need to be updated with each new file in the batch and also has a risk of data loss.

I am wondering if I can create a generic reader that will cover all possible IFC feature types so that processing a large number of IFCs can be automated?

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @izz88​,

When you add the IFC reader to the workpace, please pick the Single Merged Feature Type option on the dialog:

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 10.18.43 AMThis will give you a single input feature type that reads all features, with the IFC feature type stored in the attribute fme_feature_type. You can filter on this attribute if you want route features to different processes. You can also set the writer feature type to fanout on fme_feature_type when writing, to make the process even more generic.