Question

How to recreate "Medial Axis" mode that was removed from CentreLineReplacer in FME 2021+?

Badge

In FME 2021, the "Medial Axis" option for CentreLineReplacer was removed - does anyone know of a succinct way to replace this?

2020.1: CenterLineReplacer (safe.com)

2021+: CenterLineReplacer (safe.com)

I found this a very useful feature when combined with a preceding HullAccumulator for auto-generating a new shared network routing close to multiple destination points:

CentreLineReplacer modesMy current solution is to use the "Straight Skeleton" CentreLineReplacer option, then trim away all the lines connected to end points:

Medial Axis FME

4 replies

Badge +2

@richardt​ The CenterlineReplacer was updated in FME 2021. Medial Axis option was retired because it was not stable and also because it was an approximate centerline rather than a true media axis. There isn't an alternative except you're approach which is to use Straight Skeleton and trim the connector lines. If you have an old workspace (that has not be upgraded) or old version of FME you can copy the older version of CenterLineReplacer into your newer workspace and benefit form the old functionality.

Badge

@Mark Stoakes​ - thanks for the quick response and information. When you say the "medial axis" option was "not stable", could you elaborate a bit on that as I still have it in a workspace that is being actively used so am wondering if I need to replace it with something like the above?

Badge +2

@Mark Stoakes​ - thanks for the quick response and information. When you say the "medial axis" option was "not stable", could you elaborate a bit on that as I still have it in a workspace that is being actively used so am wondering if I need to replace it with something like the above?

@richardt​ I think there were some areas (shapes) that would cause it give poor results. Plus quite slow if I remember correctly.

Badge

@richardt​ I think there were some areas (shapes) that would cause it give poor results. Plus quite slow if I remember correctly.

Ok - thanks for the clarification.​