Solved

Check floating license availability in .NET

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

I need to develop a .NET app to execute somo FME workspaces with FME Desktop.

Before doing that, I would like to check if there is a license available (there are only two floating license).

Is there a way of achieving that? I could assume that if the process doesn't start is due to license problems, but I was wondering if there is a better way.

Thanks for any help provided.

icon

Best answer by geomancer 14 March 2023, 09:38

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

There's some command line tools that come with FlexLM, see Monitoring Floating License Use for some instructions.

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

There's some command line tools that come with FlexLM, see Monitoring Floating License Use for some instructions.

Thanks. But, if I understand correctly, those commands can only be run in the same server where FlexLM is installed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thanks. But, if I understand correctly, those commands can only be run in the same server where FlexLM is installed.

By the looks of it, yes. Unless there is some way to do it remotely. Unfortunately the FlexLM documentation seems to be pretty fragmented. Every time I google for things I get hits on a lot of pages by vendors using FlexLM, like Safe, but not a lot of "official" docs.

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

There's some command line tools that come with FlexLM, see Monitoring Floating License Use for some instructions.

You can do this from another computer.

In my case, I created a file c:\settings\safe.lic file with the following contents:

SERVER Name_of_my_License_Server Any

Next I installed lmutil

Now I can test the currently used licenses from PowerShell, with one simple command:

& "c:\Program Files\FlexServer\lmutil.exe" lmstat -f FME -c c:\settings\safe.lic

This gives several lines of output, including the line:

Users of FME:  (Total of 2 licenses issued;  Total of 1 license in use)

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

In my case, I created a file c:\settings\safe.lic file with the following contents:

Next I installed lmutil

Now I can test the currently used licenses from PowerShell, with one simple command:

& "c:\Program Files\FlexServer\lmutil.exe" lmstat -f FME -c c:\settings\safe.lic

Thanks! That works.

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

Next I installed lmutil

You're welcome, thanks for the feedback :)