Question

How to transfer attributes between "unrelated" features?

Badge +14
  • Contributor
  • 120 replies

Say I have one datasource with an scale attribute. On the same workspace but in a different and unrelated set of features I want to use this scale setting as a variable for a buffer. What is the best way to achieve this?

I have tried a few different methods and transfering the attribute through the FeatureReader seems to be the most solid of those I tested, but surely there is a more elegant way to do this?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

FeatureJoiner or FeatureMerger, if you can somehow relate them through one or more attributes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

One way is to use a FeatureMerger. Pass the features to the Requestor port. Connect one feature with the scale attribute to the Supplier port. In the settings of the FeatureMerger, under 'Join On' enter the same dummy text for Requestor and Supplier. Any value thing will do, as long as they are exactly the same.

FeatureMerger_demo

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

Another way is to start with the one feature with the scale, and connect it to a FeatureReader. In the FeatureReader set Accumulation Mode to 'Merge Initiator and Result'.

FeatureReader_Merge_Attributes

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Another way is to start with the one feature with the scale, and connect it to a FeatureReader. In the FeatureReader set Accumulation Mode to 'Merge Initiator and Result'.

FeatureReader_Merge_Attributes

I think this is the most efficient way to do it. As the FeatureMerger is a blocking transformer.

Badge +14

Thanks for all the answers! I will also do some reading on Published Parameters and try and see if I can get those to work for me.