Question

Using an Office 365 shared mailbox as an IMAP automation trigger ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi all.

Has anyone attempted this ?

I'm exploring the possibility, and although it ought to be possible, it fails to validate.

One this puzzles me though:

All configuration examples I've googled, mentions both an EMAIL ADDRESS and a USERNAME, which is also an email. And they're different when accessing a shared mailbox.

But the automation trigger only has one "IMAP Email Account" setting.

Is the IMAP trigger missing a setting ?

Cheers.

4 replies

Badge +9

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

I haven't been able to find a single mention of using a shared mailbox with FME so it looks like this is something we have tested internally however given my understanding of what they are, I do think this should be possible using the IMAP protocol.

From my research, it looks like you need to reference the full user email and then just the shared mailbox alias. Please try setting the IMAP User Account to testemail@test.com\\<shared inbox> ?

If that also doesn't work could you try swapping the slash for a forward slash? Different forums suggest one or the other. Please let me know if that doesn't work.

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

I haven't been able to find a single mention of using a shared mailbox with FME so it looks like this is something we have tested internally however given my understanding of what they are, I do think this should be possible using the IMAP protocol.

From my research, it looks like you need to reference the full user email and then just the shared mailbox alias. Please try setting the IMAP User Account to testemail@test.com\\<shared inbox> ?

If that also doesn't work could you try swapping the slash for a forward slash? Different forums suggest one or the other. Please let me know if that doesn't work.

Actually, as I wrote, and from what I've read, accessing a shared mailbox requires two separate setting:

• shared@company.com - this is the email address of the shared mailbox
  • personal@company.com\\shared@company.com - this is the user name for access to the shared mailbox

The IMAP automation trigger only has a single setting, rendering it impossible to access any shared mailbox, only direct mail boxes (where email=username).

I've tried to access my personal mailbox, and this also fails, so I've sent a request to my IT guys to verify that IMAP is indeed enabled from the server in question.

I'll get back to you as soon as I know more.

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

Ah, my IT department tells me, that basic authentication is now deprecated in Office 365, and so I need to use OAuth.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online

Are there any available examples of the Automation IMAP activator using OAuth ?

Cheers.

Badge +9

Ah, my IT department tells me, that basic authentication is now deprecated in Office 365, and so I need to use OAuth.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online

Are there any available examples of the Automation IMAP activator using OAuth ?

Cheers.

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ 

This article goes over the details on how to set it up:

https://community.safe.com/s/article/How-to-use-Microsoft-Modern-Authentication-with-FME#ForServer

However, it's only available for 2022.2+

We do have a patch available for 2021.1+ see this for details. Essentially, you'll have to create a support case and we will send it to you.