Question

Running second workbench after first is completed.

Badge

Currently, I have 15 workbenches in one FME Server Automation.

I have it set up to filter through the respective workbenches to find the correct workbench to run, but now I'm struggling with figuring out how to run the second workbench once the first one is run successfully to completion.

Through testing purposes, I noticed that my automation would select the correct workbench and then immediately run the second one despite the first one not being completed. It'll run the second workbench after triggering the first one to run. SO, it isn't necessarily waiting for the first one to complete successfully.

Is there anything I could add to my FME Server Automation to pause my second workbench until my first one is finished successfully?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Did you connect the workspaces in series or parallel?

If you connect workspace #2 to the passed output of #1 it will wait until #1 has (succesfully) completed before starting.

Schermafbeelding 2023-03-06 204315

Badge

Did you connect the workspaces in series or parallel?

If you connect workspace #2 to the passed output of #1 it will wait until #1 has (succesfully) completed before starting.

Schermafbeelding 2023-03-06 204315

image.png 

Hi! Thank you for your response. I currently have my set up like this. Somehow B will still run despite A only triggering and not finishing to completion. Do I have my setup wrong?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

image.png 

Hi! Thank you for your response. I currently have my set up like this. Somehow B will still run despite A only triggering and not finishing to completion. Do I have my setup wrong?

Yes.

But without context about what you are filtering on it's impossible to say what's going on. There are however two streams coming into the bottom row of filters/workspace. Theoretically, a second trigger of the automation that fails in that top left filter can still trigger the bottom workspace while the top one is still running.

Badge

image.png 

Hello! I really appreciate the help you've given me.

My filters are basically filtering out the names of my workflow as they're name-specific. So for example, if my first workflow was named "Apple" and my second was named "Banana" and a file named Banana was triggered via directory watch, the first test filter would fail because the name isn't "Apple."

I'm currently looking into a split-merge block but I'm not sure if that's the right solution to what I'm trying to produce.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

image.png 

Have you considered using an Automations writer in a workspace to do all your filtering in there?