Question

Convert 2D Rooftop Polygonal Layers to 3DML include absolute ground height

Hello everyone.

I used this tutorial in order to convert 2d Polyline with Z value (for example, polylines of rooftops), in order to transform them to 3DML file.

I succeed to do that, but I have a small problem.

The exported 3dml's height is penetrate the terrain surface because the FME don't know what is the absolute ground height. The question is how can I fix this problem? There is an option maybe to insert height surface?

image(You can see that the problem may accrues because Extruder don't know what is the absolute ground height)

This is my schema:

Thanks a lot!

3 replies

Badge +6

Hi @omerkavmedida​, you can set the base elevation using the 3DForcer's Elevation parameter (a value of 0 will work if you don't have a specific value to use). You can then use the Extruder's Distance parameter to set the distance that you'd like to extrude your polygons. I hope this helps & let me know if you have any questions!

Hi @omerkavmedida​, you can set the base elevation using the 3DForcer's Elevation parameter (a value of 0 will work if you don't have a specific value to use). You can then use the Extruder's Distance parameter to set the distance that you'd like to extrude your polygons. I hope this helps & let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

My question is if there any way that I can add a reader of my absolute ground height (like ASCII Grid formant), and make the Extruder make the distance "automatically" according to the ASCII Grid surface.

Badge +6

Thanks!

My question is if there any way that I can add a reader of my absolute ground height (like ASCII Grid formant), and make the Extruder make the distance "automatically" according to the ASCII Grid surface.

Hi @omerkavmedida​, yes, you can use the Esri ASCII Grid Reader, then you can connect it to the Extruder transformer and set the Distance parameter to the appropriate attribute value. Hope this answers your question!