Question

How to get Autocad Block Visibility State (more efficient)

• 3 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +18

I have a drawing which contains more than 700 hundred identical blocks and a lot of other features. The Autocad Blocks are dynamic. They can have one of 6 states where they will display a different geometry. I need to extract the correct shown geometry.

I have a new working version I would like to share. And I am curious if this is the most efficient way. These block types are used more often and it is very difficult do show the user in GIS what he is seeing in CAD.

My new version reads the file with and without exploded blocks. I use the unexploded block to detect the parameter that controls the 'visibility' state. I need to read the exploded version with 'preserve insert position' to get the correct autocad handle that I can match with the unexploded version. And the autocad block number to connect the correct the autocad handle to the other geometry. Then I can filter out the correct display state.

See my attached example. "Get Autocad Block Visibility State.fmw"canvas_preview 

I had a working principle in FME 2017.1.2.0 but that does not seem to work in 2021 and further. In 2017 the block name would be *U58 and every state would have a different U number. Could be that Autocad changed something but it looks like FME changed something.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +18

A better overview of the workbench, just to get the correct block state:

canvas_preview

Userlevel 3
Badge +18

Is there someone from Safe.com that could look at my file to see why it is so hard to solve this problem? @mark2atsafe​ 

Hi @jkr_da​ , I am trying to work out the same question. Just wondering if you got any luck on this one? cheers.

Userlevel 3
Badge +18

Hi @jkr_da​ , I am trying to work out the same question. Just wondering if you got any luck on this one? cheers.

I used the workbench attached to my opening post to do it. But there are no updates from safe.com that would make it easier.