Question

Hello, could i get some tips for Validating IFC files.

Hello, could i get some tips for Validating IFC files.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @bmwhbmwh​,

What do you want to validate in the IFC files? FME has a number of transformers that can be used to validate the information in an IFC file, including GeometryValidator, AttributeValidator and TestFilter.

The following article may be a good starting place:

https://community.safe.com/s/article/tutorial-data-validation-and-qa-with-fme

@daveatsafe​ 

Kind of hard to explain, im not very well experienced with FME. My goal is to open an IFC, check it against an excell if the information is in there and match it.

In general i take all tips when it comes to working with IFC format.

thank you for taking your time to answear.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

@daveatsafe​ 

Kind of hard to explain, im not very well experienced with FME. My goal is to open an IFC, check it against an excell if the information is in there and match it.

In general i take all tips when it comes to working with IFC format.

thank you for taking your time to answear.

The article I posted is probably the best place to start, then. IFC is a bit tricky due to the way the Property Sets are stored in the geometry, rather than as normal attributes. However, the GeometryPropertyExtractor can solve that problem for you - use it with the following settings:

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 1.36.03 PMThis will promote all the property set information to attributes for you. I recommend following it up with an AttributeExposer to expose all these new attribute, so they can be worked with in Workbench. Ensure that Run - Enable Feature Caching in the top menu of Workbench is set, then run the workspace to populate the GeometryPropertyExtractor cache. Connect a new AttributeExposer to its Extracted output, then open the AttributeExposer properties. Click the Import button at the bottom and select From Feature Cache, then select all the displayed attributes and click OK. All the IFC property sets will now be available to compare against the Excel file.