Solved

How can I read only cell A1 of an excel file?

• 27 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

I am trying to read cell A1 from an Excel file but FME Desktop seems to have a problem with that cell for any Excel.

Example 1 (fail):

figure1 

Example 2 (success with other cell):

figure2 

What is happening with cell A1? Why can't I read it like the rest of the cells?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

icon

Best answer by evieatsafe 1 March 2023, 00:40

View original

4 replies

Badge +2

@david_​ You are reading A1:A1 = Qualifications. That is the very top, left cell in a spreadsheet. Perhaps you're meaning to read A2:A2 ?

Including a small example dataset and your workspace might let the community look more closely

Badge +4

Hi @Mark Stoakes​ ,

First of all, thank you for your answer!

However, I don't want to read A2:A2, I want to read only the cell A1 with the text "Quantifications". The field name should be "A" (the column name).

Userlevel 1
Badge +14

Hi @david_​ I can replicate this and I'm not sure the reasoning behind this behavior. You should be able to set the range to A:A1 to get around this. Another way around this is by limiting how many features are being read in with these writer parameters and setting Max Features to Read to 1:

imageI'll file a bug to have this investigated further, internal ticket FMEENGINE-76786. Hope this helps in the meantime.

Badge +4

It works with your "workaround" @Evie Lapalme​ .

From my point of view, cell A1 should work like the rest. Maybe this can be fixed for the next FME Desktop version.

thank you very much!

Best regards