Question

Issue with FME Server 2022 Excel Writer Output Splitting Data into Multiple Files.

• 22 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Dear members of the FME community,

I am currently facing an issue with my FME workbench 2020, which is running on FME Server 2020. The workbench includes an Excel Writer (latest version) that fans out data into multiple sheets within a single Excel file. This process has been functioning well on a weekly basis for the past two years on FME Server 2020.

However, when I attempted to run the same workbench on FME Server 2022, the output was split into two Excel files instead of one, with the data divided between them. Additionally, the file naming convention in FME Server 2022 has changed, with the file name split into two halves, one for each file.

For example, in FME Server 2020, the correct file name for the output would be "20230101_filename.xlsx." However, on FME Server 2022, the file name has been split into two parts, resulting in two separate files named "20230101_.xlsx" and "20230101_filename.xlsx."

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or potential solutions that members of the community may have encountered or be aware of to help resolve this issue.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my request.

Best regards,

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Could it be that you're creating the filename out of multiple parts and that for one or more features one of those parts is empty?

Badge +1

@Hans van der Maarel​  Thank you for your response.

The filename of the output Excel file is indeed created from two parts, the first part being the creation date of the input file and the second part being the name of the input file. I have used the fme_basename attribute to retrieve the input filename, and then in the StringConcatenator, I concatenate the date and filename to get the output filename.

I have tried running the last four successful translations from FME Server 2020 again on FME Server 2022, but I still get two split Excel files from FME Server 2022 translations.

I am unsure what the difference is between both versions that would cause different results for the same workbench.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

@Hans van der Maarel​  Thank you for your response.

The filename of the output Excel file is indeed created from two parts, the first part being the creation date of the input file and the second part being the name of the input file. I have used the fme_basename attribute to retrieve the input filename, and then in the StringConcatenator, I concatenate the date and filename to get the output filename.

I have tried running the last four successful translations from FME Server 2020 again on FME Server 2022, but I still get two split Excel files from FME Server 2022 translations.

I am unsure what the difference is between both versions that would cause different results for the same workbench.

In order to try and find that out, can you try it in Desktop (with FME 2022) and inspect the data, see if the fme_basename is filled for all features?