Question

FME2022, ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5, A compatible ArcGIS application not found

• 18 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

I have read pretty much all the articles on getting arcpy working on FME, but somehow I keep getting the message that a compatible ArcGIS application could not be found.

I have FME 2022.1 installed. ArcGIS Pro v2.9.5, which ships with Python 3.7.

In the Navigator, Esri ArcGIS Compatibility is set to Esri ArcGIS Pro, and Python Compatibility to Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+

In the Options, Preferred Python Interpreter is set to Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+. I also tried C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgispro-py3\\python37.dll

I have a 1-line Startup Python script: import os, but it still keeps giving me the same error: "ERROR : A compatible ArcGIS application could not be found or is not licensed for Python Compatibility 'Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+'

The workspace has Python Compatibility set to 'Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+', which requires an appropriate version of ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Server. ...

Program Terminating

Notes:

I also have ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1 with 64-bit Background installed, as well as Anaconda3

Any ideas why I keep getting the error?

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Is ArcPro licensed? FME needs to be able to access an Esri license to run ArcPy

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hello @Arnold Bijlsma​ 

In addition to ensuring ArcGIS Pro is licensed, additional configuration may be required in order if a named user license is used for ArcGIS Pro.

You should also confirm ArcGIS Pro is installed using the "Anyone who uses this computer (all users)" options and not "Only for me (<username>)" option. If Pro is installed for all users, the installation directory will be located in "C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro".

Badge +3

@hkingsbury​ , @debbiatsafe​ : I have a working version of ArcGIS Pro, and I am able to run Python queries within it. It's installed as "C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\ArcGISPro.exe". But still no luck :-(

FMEProPy1FMEProPy2

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

@hkingsbury​ , @debbiatsafe​ : I have a working version of ArcGIS Pro, and I am able to run Python queries within it. It's installed as "C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\ArcGISPro.exe". But still no luck :-(

FMEProPy1FMEProPy2

Hello @Arnold Bijlsma​ 

There has been previous cases where the presence of environment variables beginning with ESRI_* or ARCGIS_* can cause a failure in FME's ArcGIS licensing check due to a mismatch in values.

Are you able to check to see if there are any similar environment variables defined on your machine? If there are, try removing these environment variables and restart the machine before running your workspace with the Python script.

If the above steps do not work, I would recommend generating a system information report following the instructions here and sending the resulting report to your local FME server provider.

Badge +3

Hello @Arnold Bijlsma​ 

There has been previous cases where the presence of environment variables beginning with ESRI_* or ARCGIS_* can cause a failure in FME's ArcGIS licensing check due to a mismatch in values. 

Are you able to check to see if there are any similar environment variables defined on your machine? If there are, try removing these environment variables and restart the machine before running your workspace with the Python script.

If the above steps do not work, I would recommend generating a system information report following the instructions here and sending the resulting report to your local FME server provider.

@debbiatsafe​ : Thanks for your help. There is no environment variable that jumps out as being the possible culprit.  The only ones referring to Esri or ArcGIS or Python are:

AGSDESKTOPJAVA=C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.8\
ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE=27000@LM_ESRIFLEX_EMEA;27000@LM_ESRIFLEX_NAFO
ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS=Editor

There is nothing in PATH. I tried clearing the ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS one, but it doesn't make a difference.

Maybe it's a question which variable ISN'T there...?

I will generate a system information report and see if our vendor can help. I will also try and see if any colleague can get it to work. 

Badge +3

Hello @Arnold Bijlsma​ 

There has been previous cases where the presence of environment variables beginning with ESRI_* or ARCGIS_* can cause a failure in FME's ArcGIS licensing check due to a mismatch in values.

Are you able to check to see if there are any similar environment variables defined on your machine? If there are, try removing these environment variables and restart the machine before running your workspace with the Python script.

If the above steps do not work, I would recommend generating a system information report following the instructions here and sending the resulting report to your local FME server provider.

I installed FME 2021 alongside 2022, because that still supports Python 2.7, i.e. it should still work with ArcMap arcpy. And that worked when setting the Python Compatibility to 'Esri ArcGIS Python 2.7'. But it doesn't work when setting it to 'Esri ArcGIS Python 3.6+'!

Basically, neither FME 2021 nor 2022 can find my ArcPro arcpy.

Badge +3

Hello @Arnold Bijlsma​ 

@debbiatsafe​ : The problem is now resolved, although I am not entirely sure why. I uninstalled Anaconda, I upgraded ArcGIS Pro to v3.0.4, and also installed FME v2022.2.3 alongside my existing version. And it now works as expected (fingers crossed).