Solved

NETCDF .nc4 and wrong dimensions

• 17 February 2023
  • 1 reply

Capture d’écran 2023-02-17 140932Hello, I'm currently working with FME 2022.1 on NETCDF files from https://daac.ornl.gov/cgi-bin/dsviewer.pl?ds_id=1851

The files are .nc4 and when I try to open them on FME Workbench I have this warning. (on picture)

It seems that FME can't link the dimensions defined in the file with its own "lat/lon and time functions"

I tried opening these files on ArcMap 10.8.1 and the dimensions are immediately recognized correctly. 

How can I make FME understand that lat = lat, lon = lon and time = time ? Or how can I set it when reading the nc4 file ?

icon

Best answer by kailinatsafe 17 February 2023, 23:09

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @nokram​, thanks for sharing the data link! It looks like the dimensions on this NetCDF file are ordered as: lat, lon, time, whereas typically dimensions are ordered as: time, lat, lon. This is completely fine and acceptable, but this is likely why you're seeing those WARNINGS printed to the logfile. All warnings aside, it looks like FME is reading the data correctly!

I'll file an issue with our development team to have these log messages removed (FMEENGINE-76677). In the meantime, it's safe to ignore the warnings! Happy to help, Kailin.