Question

Why does the SHAPE_Area change values if I use an Excel-Writer compared with using a GDB-Writer?

• 16 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi everybody

I'm using FME to merge several different spatial feature classes to create a new one. The user of this product is one of our partners in the office who doesn't have the possibility to view the data with a GIS-system. Therefore the output should in form of an excel. At the end of the workspace I use two writer: one for the excel and one for the GDB. When I compare the two results regarding the total area of the features, only the GDB one is correct.

It is important that the area-values in the Excel are correct because they are used the analyze the other attribute using Pivot-tables and so on...

Thanks in advance for you help :-)

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

SHAPE_Area is an attribute that's automatically calculated by ESRI. For other formats it's "just an attribute" with "just a number". If you want to have an area field in Excel you should use an AreaCalculator before writing

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

if you calculate the area (AreaCalculator) before you write to Excel, the result must identical.

shape_area is a systemattribute, it is not nessary for writing to GDB.

so cool, thx a lot guys for the quick answers, it worked perfekt :-)

The change from more ESRI products the FME needs some learning to do for me :-)