Question

Is there a way to use FME Cloud for Disaster Recovery to FME Server?

• 15 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +8

Looking for cost effective ways if an organization buys into FME Server, they can get redundancy if their network should go down by switching to FME Cloud backup.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I think it mainly depends on the workspaces they run. If those require data that's on their network that would be an issue of course. If not, or if you can replicate datasets online easily, it could potentially be a good backup.

Another issue would be redirecting users to the FME Cloud backup if the local FME Server setup is down. That's an IT thing I guess.

As for cost-effectiveness, there's ways of only launching FME Cloud instances when necessary, there's an API for that (the FMECloudInstanceLauncher custom transformer uses that for example)

Badge +8

I think it mainly depends on the workspaces they run. If those require data that's on their network that would be an issue of course. If not, or if you can replicate datasets online easily, it could potentially be a good backup.

Another issue would be redirecting users to the FME Cloud backup if the local FME Server setup is down. That's an IT thing I guess.

As for cost-effectiveness, there's ways of only launching FME Cloud instances when necessary, there's an API for that (the FMECloudInstanceLauncher custom transformer uses that for example)

Yeah, I figured there were ways, but I was wondering if anyone has actually implemented it.