Question

Read part of Cloud Optimised Geotiff (COG)

• 14 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi

Is it possible to read a portion of a Cloud Optimised GeoTiff using a bounding box?

I'm trying to use the GeoTiff reader with the search envelope set but just get an "Error occured during translation" message after the Geotiff is opened.

Thanks

Tom

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello @tomcolley​, yes, FME should be capable of consuming COG datasets. If you specify the extents, it should only return the data you ask for. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

1. What version of FME are you using?
  2. Are you reading from a file or URL?
  3. Are you using a custom coordinate system in the Seach Envelope?

Fairly curious, if you were to reproject data to a common projection, does the error persist (LL84, for example)? I wasn't able to reproduce the error, but I used a standard CS. If you're unable to share data here, consider submitting a support case so we can take a closer look. Happy to help, Kailin

Badge

Hello @tomcolley​, yes, FME should be capable of consuming COG datasets. If you specify the extents, it should only return the data you ask for. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

1. What version of FME are you using?
  2. Are you reading from a file or URL?
  3. Are you using a custom coordinate system in the Seach Envelope?

Fairly curious, if you were to reproject data to a common projection, does the error persist (LL84, for example)? I wasn't able to reproduce the error, but I used a standard CS. If you're unable to share data here, consider submitting a support case so we can take a closer look. Happy to help, Kailin

Hi @kailinatsafe​ , thanks for your reply.

1. It's FME 2022.1
  2. I read from a URL (https://dmwproductionblob.blob.core.windows.net/cogs/LiDAR_1m_2020_22_DSM_16bit_COG.tif) originally but have just downloaded and tried it as a local file with the same result.
  3. The coordinate system is OSGB-GPS-2015-OSTN15. Originally I had it set to EPSG:27700 which gave this warning: "NOT changing coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `GEOTIFF_1' from `EPSG:27700' to `OSGB-GPS-2015-OSTN15' -- mapping file setting of `EPSG:27700' overrides coordinate system `OSGB-GPS-2015-OSTN15' read from file".

I don't have access to data in a more common projection but it would be really good to see if you get the same issue with my file.

Thanks again for your help

Tom

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hi @kailinatsafe​ , thanks for your reply.

1. It's FME 2022.1
  2. I read from a URL (https://dmwproductionblob.blob.core.windows.net/cogs/LiDAR_1m_2020_22_DSM_16bit_COG.tif) originally but have just downloaded and tried it as a local file with the same result.
  3. The coordinate system is OSGB-GPS-2015-OSTN15. Originally I had it set to EPSG:27700 which gave this warning: "NOT changing coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `GEOTIFF_1' from `EPSG:27700' to `OSGB-GPS-2015-OSTN15' -- mapping file setting of `EPSG:27700' overrides coordinate system `OSGB-GPS-2015-OSTN15' read from file".

I don't have access to data in a more common projection but it would be really good to see if you get the same issue with my file.

Thanks again for your help

Tom

Hello @tomcolley​, thanks for your patience. By the way, you're using a standard CS, sorry if I confused you there! I've filed an issue with our development team as FMEENGINE-76657. I've made a note to update this thread when a fix is available. Hope this helps! Kailin.

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello @tomcolley​, I am pleased to announce FMEENGINE-76657 has been resolved in FME 2023.0 b23288+, you can find this version on the Downloads Page. Happy to help, Kailin.

Badge

Hello @tomcolley​, I am pleased to announce FMEENGINE-76657 has been resolved in FME 2023.0 b23288+, you can find this version on the Downloads Page. Happy to help, Kailin.

That's great, thanks for letting me know I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.​