Solved

Is there a simple way to determine which topics are notified by workspaces in FME Server?

• 10 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +22
  • Contributor
  • 1959 replies

I want to do a cleanup of FME Server and remove topics and subscriptions that are not being used by any workspaces on the server.

Is there a way to see what topics are being used other than going through each workspace individually?

icon

Best answer by ebygomm 10 February 2023, 17:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Perhaps an idea could be to create an automation that listens to all topics and logs them as they get triggered. You could then analyze the log after some time.

Another idea would be to use the FMW reader and parse all the workspaces on the server to look for topics.

Badge +22

Perhaps an idea could be to create an automation that listens to all topics and logs them as they get triggered. You could then analyze the log after some time.

Another idea would be to use the FMW reader and parse all the workspaces on the server to look for topics.

The automation wouldn't work in this case, as we have several workspaces that only run on a quarterly or semi-annually basis.

I'll have to look into the workspace reader.

Userlevel 4

The automation wouldn't work in this case, as we have several workspaces that only run on a quarterly or semi-annually basis.

I'll have to look into the workspace reader.

Since you know which topic names to look for, an even simpler idea could be to just look for those strings inside all the fmw files in the repository directory.

That said, perhaps also check if there are any server schedules triggering topics, etc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

The retrieve item API call will return information about a workspace that notifies a topic where it has been set here

imageIt's under properties

{
         "name" : "SUCCESS_TOPICS",
         "attributes" : {},
         "category" : "fmejobsubmitter_FMEUSERPROPDATA",
         "value" : "SAMPLE_TOPIC"
      }

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Not sure if you had potentially used them, but if you have used any FMEServerNotifier transformers then you will want to check them as well. Outside of the workspace, there is course schedules and automations that may be calling he topics.

We have and continue to build a (gigantic) FME Server audit process which does all these things plus a lot, lot more, which is absolutely brilliant for understanding all the interactions inside FME Server for us and our clients. I just don't know how we can make it more widely available, while still getting a return on the large amount of hours that have been implemented.