Question

How to join to lines that don't share a start/end point?

• 10 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

I have two lines I would line to join together. However they do not intersect with each other so I can't use the line combiner. The lines are 3D and I want to preserve the dimensions so a neighbour finder might not work because that is 2D

They are lines along the centre of a rail line but there is a small gap (see picture). I would like to join it so that it forms one line. The direction of the lines is the same.

If anyone has any ideas how I could do this I would be very appreciative

Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Probably multiple ways to do this, but one way is to do fix the connectionlines in 2D first, then fix the 3D part. Sample workspace attached.

3DNeighborFinder

Badge +4

Probably multiple ways to do this, but one way is to do fix the connectionlines in 2D first, then fix the 3D part. Sample workspace attached.

3DNeighborFinder

Thanks for the reply @nielsgerrits​ . I ended up just using the Snapper which appears to have worked. Don't know how I didn't think of that earlier. Your workspace will be handy for other things I do though! I do have a way to do 3D snapping myself. But that only works on points (I convert the base or candidate to a pointcloud and run the maths on pointcloud components)