Question

Using a private SSH key with FTPCaller to authenticate an SFTP Connection hangs in FME Server

• 7 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

As the directions in this topic detail:

https://community.safe.com/s/article/Using-a-private-SSH-key-with-FTPCaller-to-authenticate-an-SFTP-Connection-on-FME-Server-and-FME-Desktop

I am using a SystemCaller to launch Pageant and load the private keys so the FTPCaller can successfully authenticate a SFTP connection. This is working great in FME Desktop. However, when I load the workspace to FME Server, the SystemCaller just hangs. I have gone the extra step of even loading the keys in Pageant on the server, but still didn't help. Is there something extra that I must do to get this process to work on FME Server? I am using FME Desktop and Server 2022.1 Build 22618.

5 replies

Badge

just to confirm, pageant *is* running on the server computer right? whats the command you're using in system caller?

start "C:\Program Files\PuTTY\pageant.exe" "c:\path\to\PRK.ppk"

is what i am currently using on Server with no issues. make sure the user account for FME Server has permissions to read the file too.

Badge

Yes, I have pageant running (the icon is in the system tray) and I have loaded the key.

My system caller command is:

start "D:\\Program Files\\PuTTY\\pageant.exe" "C:\\FME\\Resources\\<retracted>\\SFTP\\CL_PrivateKey.ppk"

I am still investigating and would not at all be surprised if this is a permission issue as my company has EVERYTHING super locked down.

Badge

Yes, I have pageant running (the icon is in the system tray) and I have loaded the key.

start "D:\\Program Files\\PuTTY\\pageant.exe" "C:\\FME\\Resources\\<retracted>\\SFTP\\CL_PrivateKey.ppk"

I am still investigating and would not at all be surprised if this is a permission issue as my company has EVERYTHING super locked down.

That was one of the road blocks I hit. The user account had no read privileges on anything so it just hung there trying to load it.

Hello, did you solve the problem? What is the solution ?

Badge

Hello, did you solve the problem? What is the solution ?

The problem has not been solved but it does appear to be a permission issue. We are in the process of upgrading our environment to 2023 (desktop and server.... well... form and flow) and that has slowed the implementation of this. I have been manually running it in the mean time.