Question

Building facade(front) direction find out

Badge

Hi pls help me with this. I just want to know which direction building is facing. I have thousands of building and i want that at once all buildings front direction should come out. The data i have are building foot print(.shp), 3d model (citygml) and road center line(.shp)

12 replies

Badge +6

Hi @Abinash Rout​, In your CityGML are you able to extract the <!--front surface--> tag? This isn't an area I'm an expert in but wondering if that would help. This documentation would be a good place to start as well.

Badge

Hi @Abinash Rout​, In your CityGML are you able to extract the <!--front surface--> tag? This isn't an area I'm an expert in but wondering if that would help. This documentation would be a good place to start as well.

Thanks for replying but i just want to know if there is any transformer which will help me find direction like weather its facing south, north or south east etc.

Badge

@david_r​ can you pls help me with this its really urgent

Badge +20

Use BoundingBoxReplacer set to 2D Oriented Bunding Box and give a name to the angle attribute.BoundingBoxReplacerThis will give you the direction of the longest side of the building, not the orientation of a specific facade.

Another method would be to use NeighborFinder with buildings as Base and roads as Candidates and use the _angle attribute to mao orientation.

Badge

Use BoundingBoxReplacer set to 2D Oriented Bunding Box and give a name to the angle attribute.BoundingBoxReplacerThis will give you the direction of the longest side of the building, not the orientation of a specific facade.

Another method would be to use NeighborFinder with buildings as Base and roads as Candidates and use the _angle attribute to mao orientation.

@caracadrian​ thank you so much.So from angle how will i identify the direction east, west or north-east etc.

Userlevel 4

@david_r​ can you pls help me with this its really urgent

Sorry, this is outside my area of expertise.

Badge

Sorry, this is outside my area of expertise.

okay thanks for reply

Badge

@caracadrian​ pls explain the second method you suggested

Badge +20

Just input building footprints and road lines into NeighborFinder and use AttributeRangeMapper or AttributeManager to set geographic direction from angle value. I believe the angle is measured counterclockwise starting from the X axis - 45-135 degrees should mean north. Reading the Help helps NeighborFinder (safe.com)

Badge

okay going to try it

thanks

Badge

@caracadrian​  Thank you so much forgot to thank you 😅 . achieved what i was looking for

Badge +20

Glad you found a solution. Happy to help!