Solved

Convert character field to date/time in csv

• 3 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi FME community,

I am still fairly new to FME. I'm getting stuck with date/time fields in csvs and excel documents. I've attached the field I'm trying to convert into DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM (%d/%m/%Y %h:%m ?), but it writes out empty if I try the DateConverter or AttributeManager> Text editor > DateTimeFormat. It's likely I'm using the transformers incorrectly. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

icon

Best answer by j.botterill 3 February 2023, 02:19

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Hi epro,

Firstly ensuring the CSV reader separatesimage the columns, confirming the delimiter type in the parameter's

So 15/08/2022 10:59:52 a.m. appears to be a custom "Input" format. Expanding the quick reference and using the Preview to see if we have the correct syntax and

image soon find that perhaps the a.m. and p.m. needs a stringreplacer before the Dateconverter?

imageanother string replacer for the pm...

run to the last string replacer and inspect the new date field valuesimageInput format

%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S %p

15/08/2022 10:59:52 am

Badge +2

@epro_admin​ Thanks for including a small sample dataset - that makes it much easier to test a solution.

Just for completeness... The CSV reader has the capability to parse data/time fields, it's buried in the reader parameters:

imageBut... in this case it won't help since there is no way around the 'a.m.' or 'p.m.' format, so you have to use the approach described by @jamesb16otterill​ 

Badge +1

Thank you both for your replies!