Question

Hello everyone, I have a theoretical question. I have two DTM. One of them is TIFF and another is a shp file which are countors. I want to compare these.

Badge

The TIFF has only angle unit and does not have linear unit and the shp file only has been defined Geographic coordinate system. What can I do?, Does the TIFF file have to have Linear unit before?

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Yes, if you want to compare them they'll need to be in the same coordinate system.

Badge +14

You can use the Reprojector to force both sources into the same coordinate system.

Badge

Hi again, @Hans van der Maarel​ @aron​ 

I should have said the TIFF file is as refrence file, so, even if it was refrence file, I should have convert it to another coordinate syatem?, I attached the propertise about TIFF and SHP file.

TIFFshp

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

These two are the same. If that is the case, you won't need to reproject anything.

As a rule of thumb: as soon as you want to make any kind of geographical analysis between two datasets in FME you need to make sure they are in the same coordinate system, FME is not going to do that for you.

Badge

These two are the same. If that is the case, you won't need to reproject anything.

As a rule of thumb: as soon as you want to make any kind of geographical analysis between two datasets in FME you need to make sure they are in the same coordinate system, FME is not going to do that for you.

Thank you so much for your help @Hans van der Maarel​ 

I also have another question. I have two TIFF with different resolution. So, I want to know , What resolution do I choose to measure the differences between the DTMs?

fm_4fm_3

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I also have another question. I have two TIFF with different resolution. So, I want to know , What resolution do I choose to measure the differences between the DTMs?

fm_4fm_3

It depends, I guess. Is interpolation acceptable or not (and if so, how much)? Can you tell us a bit more about your application?

Badge

fm_4fm_3

Yes, Thank you. This is a student project.

Could you please give me another clue, about How we can understand the unit of DTM is meter or feet?, in properties there is not any information about Linear unit, and only have angular unit.

fm-2

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

fm_4fm_3

I kinda thought it was a student project 😅

Really something like this should be documented. If it isn't you can try doing a sanity check on the data. For elevation, see if you can find out from another source what the elevations for that area are and then compare it to your data.

Badge +14

fm_4fm_3

Are there any clues in the file names? The DTM I use always have "_2m" or something similar in the name. Or go back to where you collected them, whoever shared them would know what they are.

Badge

fm_4fm_3

@Hans van der Maarel​ I compare that with google earth and got it. Thank you so much for your help.

Badge

fm_4fm_3

@aron​ Thank you for your help.