Solved

SHP to TAB: MapINFO version chosen was 300 but created with version 800

• 27 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +11

Hi all,

Not sure if someone could help me with this doubt.

I'm trying to convert from SHP to MAPINFO a polygonal layer. I fill the Advance property from the Writer to be used the File Version = '300'. Once finished the conversion I see the file has taken '800'. Other layers maintain '300'.

Not sure why some layers stick to the fixed '300' value that I give and others no.

I'm using 2022.1 FME Desktop version.

Thanks,

J.

icon

Best answer by egge 30 January 2023, 16:35

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi Juanma,

Yes, this behavior can be explained. If we have a look at the MapInfo TAB (MITAB) Writer Parameters, under File Version, we will see that this parameter only "Provides a hint of the target version of the output file."

"Note that this option does not affect the overall version number written to the file. That is determined by the specific attribute types, geometry types, or coordinate systems. For example, if the coordinate system is “Krovak S-JTSK”, then the version is promoted to at least 900."

This means that if you set File Version = '300', the system will try to create a MapInfo 3 compatible file, but if this is impossible (for the reasons mentioned above) FME will automatically switch to a higher version.

It looks like the geometry from your shapefile is not compatible with MapInfo 3, so the system generates a TAB file compatible with MapInfo 8. (It might be the geometry, but it could also be one or more of the attributes and/or the projection used...)

HTH,

Egge-Jan

Badge +11

That's totally comprehensive. More clear now, many thanks for the help @egge​ ! ;)