Question

How to read DGN files and work with them in high performance ?

• 26 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +13

Hello ,

i have around 10 GB DGN files and it takes time to load in FME and and it seems slowly to work with them .

i would like to know , if there is best method to work with DGN files ?

Or should I convert them to other format ,if it will be besser then I work with them in new format ?

FME 2021

Thanks in Advance

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

10 Gb of any file format is going to take time to process 😅

If you can tell us a bit more about what you're trying to do we may be able to give you more detailed advice.

Badge +13

10 Gb of any file format is going to take time to process 😅

If you can tell us a bit more about what you're trying to do we may be able to give you more detailed advice.

I have my polygons as DGN files , size of folder that contains DGN files around 10 Gb. I would like to find a way to work with them quickly .

i have lots of points as oracle DB and I want to use point on area to find which point locates inside the polygons (DGN files ).

this is my target ,thanks for help .

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I have my polygons as DGN files , size of folder that contains DGN files around 10 Gb. I would like to find a way to work with them quickly .

i have lots of points as oracle DB and I want to use point on area to find which point locates inside the polygons (DGN files ).

You could try loading the polygons in Oracle as well and make sure that table is spatially indexed. It's hard to say what the performance gain (if any) would be.

Badge +13

Sry for asking again ,could I load DGN file where fme_feature_type = value or fme_feature_type = another value

so I do not need to load all data in DGN files .is there a method ?

Userlevel 4

I can only confirm that reading DGN files can, in some cases, be relatively slow. I can't say if this is due to the complexity of the format, the libraries FME use for reading them, or both.

If your DGN files are relatively static but you need to read them multiple times, a solution could be to transform then once to the FFS format and then work with those files instead. That should be much faster.

Badge +13

Thanks ,I will convert them .

Badge +13

I can only confirm that reading DGN files can, in some cases, be relatively slow. I can't say if this is due to the complexity of the format, the libraries FME use for reading them, or both.

If your DGN files are relatively static but you need to read them multiple times, a solution could be to transform then once to the FFS format and then work with those files instead. That should be much faster.

@david_r​ 

while I am reading DGN file,could I select specific values from tables ? does it possible ?

i want to use condition ,when FME featur type =value or another value ,read only them and ignore the rest

Userlevel 4

Unfortunately dgn files do not behave like a database. I believe that FME will end up reading the entire dgn file even if you set a feature type filter. But I'm not quite sure. You'll have to try it out, I think.