Solved

Query on "LineonAreaOverlayer" in FME

• 25 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

A quick question on “LineonAreaOverlayer” Transformer in FME. I am using this transformer to connect WW pipe data from a council (in line format) with some environmental data (in area format in GIS layer) to analyse integrated data.

However, when I am connecting this two layers in FME…

1. I have originally 14, 000 WW pipes
  2. But, when I am connecting this pipe layer with the environmental data layer using above transformer in FME… the number of pipes get almost 50% more say about 21,000 pipe records
  3. This makes sense to me as per the description of this transformer which says: “The LineOnAreaOverlayer compares lines and polygons, splitting the lines where they intersect with a polygon boundary. Each resulting piece receives the attributes of the area(s) it is contained in, and each containing area receives the attributes of the line(s) that either fall within or intersect it (a spatial join). Features also receive a count of the number of overlaps encountered”

But still wanted to double check with community that is that rule correct? The only concern is my UniqueID for a pipe does not remain unique any more …as pipe is dividing into two or three sections. Can we remerge them by any chance to get original number of pipes back in record?

I hope I have explained it well.

Regards,

https://gis.ecan.govt.nz/arcgis/rest/services/Public/Landcare_SMap_Layers/MapServer/6

icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 26 January 2023, 05:27

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

I think the SpatialRelator will suit your needs better. Connect the lines to the requestors, area's to the suppliers, set the test to intersects and enable merge attributes and generate list. This will create a list for each line with the attributes from the areas the line intersects, which I think is you are looking for.

Badge +2

@ppp19​ I agree with @nielsgerrits​ - SpatialRelator might be a better choice. But, if you're getting the results you need with Intersector then LineCombiner should be able to re-join your pipes using a Group By of theline ID.

Badge

Thanks @nielsgerrits and @Mark Stoakes​ ...... SpatialRelator worked well for my need!