Question

Invalid geometry error when reading/writing ESRI annotation feature class between enterprise (SDE) geodatabases

• 25 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

I'm having an error I have not been able to fix when attempting to read/write an annotation feature class from one SDE geodatabase to another. When writing the annotation feature class using INSERT and TRUNCATE in the writer, I get the following error:

Invalid geometry type received for an annotation feature. Please split multi-part annotations using the SPLIT_MULTI_PART_ANNOS keyword on the reader to 'yes', or switch to classic geometry mode before attempting to write them to a Geodatabase

Both annotation feature classes have been updated to an ArcGIS Pro 3.0 version, and they have matching schemas. I've made sure to "clean" the geometry in ArcGIS Pro (no geometry issues were found) but no luck. I'm using FME 2022.0.0.2 (Build 22343 - WIN64). I also followed the suggestion and changed the SPLIT_MULTI_PART_ANNOS keyword to 'yes'. Not sure what "switch to classic geometry mode" means...

I'm able to read/write older versions (i.e. ArcGIS Desktop) of annotation feature classes w/o issue with FME, so I'm wondering if there is a bug associated with FME 2022 and ArcGIS Pro annotation?

Any ideas as to what could be going wrong? Thanks!

1 reply

Badge +2

@jesselangdon​ Would you be able to attach:

• File Geodb or Esri XML Workspace Document export of a few of the source offending annotations
  • an export of the target annotation feature class as an Esri XML Workspace document (Schema Only) so we can recreate the feature class. If it's a relationship, you'll need to export all the related feature classes

If it's confidential data you can send it to me at mark at safe dot com