Question

How to change FME Server postgres database password without reinstalling?

• 19 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +8

I installed FME Server 2022.2.2 on Windows Server using Express. I told setup to use the wrong* password for Postgres `fmeserver` database user. How do I change the password after the fact, without going through the whole install process again?

I know the password is stored in fmeDatabaseConfig.txt in the FME Server installation directory and how to encrypt the password. But that's how to change what FME passes to the db, not what is stored in the db. I need to change both.

There is more than one Postgres service and database on this server.

* wrong means "differs from our internal standards and documentation".

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Assumes you have installed in C drive and had the "fmeserver" (which use to be the old default). It might have changed slightly from these instructions in the last couple of years.

Change the Postgres password for fmeserver:

Database: fmeserver 

Username: fmeserver 

Password: fmeserver 

Please use the following in a command window on the FME Server machine 

"C:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\Utilities\\pgsql\\bin\\psql.exe" -h localhost -p 7082 -d fmeserver -U fmeserver 

then 

Alter USER fmeserver WITH PASSWORD '<password>'; (correctly applied will return "ALTER ROLE" NOTE the ';') 

You need to encrypt this password, so call "C:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\Clients\\utilities\\encryptConfigSetting.bat” DB_PASSWORD <password> 

Update \\fmeserver\\server\\FMECommonConfig.txt, updating DB_PASSWORD=<new password> 

Update \\fmeserver\\server\\fmeServerWebApplicationConfig.txt, updating DB_PASSWORD=<new password> 

Cheers,

Todd