Question

How to clip 3D solid?

• 17 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi everyone,

please, do you have any idea how to clip elements from solid with no volume?

For example feature like in attachment?

Thanks a lot!

solidLubo

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @lazarlubomir​,

Please use a GeometryCoercer to coerce the solid to a fme_composite_surface, then use a SolidBuilder to rebuild the solid from the surface. It should ignore the overlapping faces when building the new solid.

You may need to add a Deaggregator after the GeometryCoercer to break up the surface into individual faces, but try first without it.

Badge +1

Hi @lazarlubomir​,

Please use a GeometryCoercer to coerce the solid to a fme_composite_surface, then use a SolidBuilder to rebuild the solid from the surface. It should ignore the overlapping faces when building the new solid.

You may need to add a Deaggregator after the GeometryCoercer to break up the surface into individual faces, but try first without it.

Hi @daveatsafe​ , thank You so much for advice! I have tried to apply this on my dataset, but with no success. Please, could You give a try on dataset from attachment? This is IFC file containing one solid feature as I wrote.

Thank You so much!

Lubo

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @daveatsafe​ , thank You so much for advice! I have tried to apply this on my dataset, but with no success. Please, could You give a try on dataset from attachment? This is IFC file containing one solid feature as I wrote.

Thank You so much!

Lubo

Hi @lazarlubomir​,

I tried using the SolidBuilder process on your IFC data, but it was not able to build a valid solid from the deaggregated faces. There may be a small gap that is causing the failure, but I have no tools to find it.