Question

I am trying to install the FME Desktop on my Ubuntu 20.04.1 laptop, but it doesn't work. Could you please help me to solve this problem? Thanks!

Badge
I am trying to install the FME Desktop on my Ubuntu 20.04.1 laptop, but it doesn't work. Could you please help me to solve this problem? Thanks!

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hello @momeniiman​ 

It looks like you are using dpkg to install FME based on the screenshot you shared. dkpg does not install missing dependencies and may be the cause of the errors you are seeing.

I would recommend confirming FME Desktop was not installed (ie. /opt/fme-desktop-2022/ does not exist). If the folder doesn't exist, try using gdebi to install FME as recommended in our installation documentation. You may need to install gdebi first with 'sudo apt install gdebi-core'.

Badge

Hello @momeniiman​ 

It looks like you are using dpkg to install FME based on the screenshot you shared. dkpg does not install missing dependencies and may be the cause of the errors you are seeing.

I would recommend confirming FME Desktop was not installed (ie. /opt/fme-desktop-2022/ does not exist). If the folder doesn't exist, try using gdebi to install FME as recommended in our installation documentation. You may need to install gdebi first with 'sudo apt install gdebi-core'.

Thanks!

The folder you mentioned exists on my computer. Now, what should I do? Removing it?

Badge

Hello @momeniiman​ 

I uninstalled the FME completely (purge) and tried to reinstall it using gdebi. But again didn't work. Please take a look at the attached picture. I would really appreciate it if you could help me to solve this problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

I uninstalled the FME completely (purge) and tried to reinstall it using gdebi. But again didn't work. Please take a look at the attached picture. I would really appreciate it if you could help me to solve  this problem.

The error in your most recent screenshot indicates a dependency for FME (libboost-chrono) cannot be installed. That may be due to several reasons including outdated libraries, the libboost-chrono not available from the repository your system is downloading from, etc.

Please ensure the Linux system libraries are up-to-date using the following command:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

After doing this, try installing FME again (uninstall FME first if /opt/fme-desktop-2022/ already exists). If the error persists after doing this, you can to try manually installing libboost-chrono and then installing FME again.

Badge

I uninstalled the FME completely (purge) and tried to reinstall it using gdebi. But again didn't work. Please take a look at the attached picture. I would really appreciate it if you could help me to solve this problem.

Thanks for your response.

My Ubuntu is up-to-date "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade" and nothing changed. I don't know how to install this package manually ...

Badge

It seems that my system has a more up-to-date package and cannot downgrade it?

Am I right?

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

FME Desktop 2022 does not appear to have a dependency on libboost-atomic. It does depend on several other libboost-* libraries (ie. libboost-chrono, libboost-filesystem, libboost-iostreams, libboost-locale, libboost-regex, libboost-system, libboost-thread).

You mentioned the machine is running Ubuntu 20.04.1. instead of the expected Ubuntu 20.04.5 if your system is up-to-date. Which Ubuntu-based distribution is installed and are you able to confirm the Ubuntu release used?

Badge

Thanks. The attached picture shows my OS specs.

Badge

Even after upgrading my Ubuntu to 20.1, the same error ...

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Thank you for the screenshot. Note that your machine is running Ubuntu 22.04.1 and not Ubuntu 20.04.1 as previously mentioned.

Unfortunately, FME does not currently support Ubuntu 22.04. You can see a list of supported Linux distributions here. We are currently working on implementing support for 22.04 in FME 2023.

Badge

oooops!

Sorry for my mistake.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @momeniiman​ FME 2023 betas are now also available for Ubuntu 22.04 "Jammy Jellyfish" at https://www.safe.com/support/downloads/#beta