Question

What could be the reason for a SQL Server Truncate to take so long? (FME 2022)

• 11 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I recently upgraded to FME Server 2022. As I'm creating new workbenches for publishing or modify existing workbenches, I'm transitioning to Desktop 2022 as well.

I have a process with three (3) identically configured Feature Writers (ESRI SDE/SQL Server) that first truncate three (3) tables and then insert into those tables. I have updated and republished this in 2022. When I try to run it in my new environment, it stalls at TRUNCATING one of the tables... literally sits there for almost 2 hours, then resumes. I should add that this is not a super large table - 150K records maybe. My understanding of TRUNCATE does not suggest this size would have an impact, nor have I seen this before.

Nothing has changed about the database/table. Nor the Writer configurations or workbench "logic". What could be causing this hang-up? Has my Writer gone south?

slow_truncate 

3 replies

Badge

Fixed this by moving the 'Truncate' into the the 'SQL To Run Before Write' parameter which makes the Truncate pretty much instant. Not sure why this works and the other way doesn't, if this is unique to what I'm doing or related to changes in the Writer behavior in v2022. Just relieved my process runs 2 hours faster.

Badge +2

Just had exactly the same problem, and your solution worked for me too!

Did you ever find out what was causing the slow truncate?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Check the ESRI user here - it can be the user does have the correct permissions and instead of making bulk transactions FME will use an edit session instead removing the rows one by on