Solved

'Validate output file'-setting in GML writer doesn't appear to be validating (FME Desktop 2021.1)

• 11 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi community,

A client I am working for recently upgraded their FME Desktop/Server installation from version 2018.1 (20180717 - Build 18520) to 2021.1 (20210730 - Build 21619). I upgraded the workspaces and I am currently in the process of testing.

I noticed that a workspace ("gdb2gml.fmw", attached to this thread) behaves differently in FME Desktop 2021.1. The purpose of this workspace is to read a File Geodatabase, map the attributes to a specific format and write to a GML. The output file (GML) is validated against an XSD file (XSD-file and input GDB also attached to this thread).

The validation in the GML writer should fail. The File Geodatabase contains an illegal feature (a multipart polygon) which is not allowed as a geometry for this feature class. In the GML writer, the setting 'validate output file' is set to Yes. In FME Desktop 2018, this multipart feature is detected by the validation and the workspace fails. This is the expected behaviour. In FME Desktop 2021, however, this feature is not detected and the workspace completes without errors.

I rebuilt the workspace in FME Desktop 2021 , in order to check if this unexpected behaviour came from some old cached information in the workspace. It still doesn't validate the output GML as expected.

I searched for a bug or known issue on this topic, but couldn't find one. Am I doing something wrong, or does anyone know of an issue related to this topic?

I attached the workspace, input File Geodatabase and the XSD-schema to this thread. The problem description and how to set the parameters in the workspace can be found in a bookmark.

Sincerely,

Vince

icon

Best answer by martinkoch 13 January 2023, 13:52

View original

1 reply

Badge +13

Hello Vince,

I expect the Highway-multi-polygon to be the feature you want to provoke an error...

In FME 2021 and 2022, the GML-writer configured in your workspace writes only one of the two parts of this polygon. Thus it produces a valid GML. Both the XMLValidator transformer, as the validation-tooling of the XML-tools plugin of Notepad++ confirm this.

I don't know what exactly happens in FME 2018, but if there the writer writes a multi-polygon, and produces an error after validation, something has been changed in the writer behavior between both FME versions. Perhaps compare a file (without validation on) written in FME2018 with the one produced by this workspace in FME 2021. What's the difference?

I expect the reason behind reported behavior is a changed in the way the GML writer handles a provided XSD between FME 2018 and FME 2021. It now writes the geometry-part it can according to given XSD, while previous it might have written a GML representation, not following the given XSD, and afterwards, when validating, notice it had produced something wrong.

Because, what you are actually testing with this workspace is the way the GML-writer in FME works: "Does it still error-out if I feed it a multi-polygon, with given XSD?"

If you think this is undesired, wrong or whatever, opening a support-request at https://community.safe.com/s/support is the way to go. Safe software is very interested in how their users experience the product, and the changes they have made to it.

Oh... and fix the missing ( typo in the attributemanager where you convert the dates for the 'Geluidproductieplafondobjecten'

Kind regards,

Martin