Question

How to downsample resolution of raster data

• 11 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

we have raster data (orthophotos) with a ground resolution of 8cm.

Is there a possibility to downsample the ground resolution to 20cm?

Based on some limitations we sometimes have to use 20cm ground resolution.

Does anyone know if something like this is possible with the fme?

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Did you have a look at the RasterResampler: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Transformers/rasterresampler.htm

Badge +3

Hi @limo​ ,

I believe the RasterResampler transformer can be used for exactly this usecase;

"Resamples rasters, based on specified output dimensions, cell size in ground units, or percentage of original, by interpolating new cell values."

See also its documentation page for more info and a visual illustration of how the transformer works.

Badge +7

I thought only number of columns and rows are possible.

So you are right I can set cell size x and y. Are the values in meter?

So if I have an orthophoto with 8cm ground resolution and I set 0.2 for x and y value then I get the orthophoto with 20cm ground resolution. This is exactly what we need.

Userlevel 4

I thought only number of columns and rows are possible.

So you are right I can set cell size x and y. Are the values in meter?

So if I have an orthophoto with 8cm ground resolution and I set 0.2 for x and y value then I get the orthophoto with 20cm ground resolution. This is exactly what we need.

As mentioned in the documentation, the values are in ground units. Meaning that if the coordinate system of your raster is in meters, then the values are also interpreted as meters. However, if your raster coordinate system is in e.g. Lat/Long, then the values will be interpreted as being in decimal degrees.

Badge +7

As mentioned in the documentation, the values are in ground units. Meaning that if the coordinate system of your raster is in meters, then the values are also interpreted as meters. However, if your raster coordinate system is in e.g. Lat/Long, then the values will be interpreted as being in decimal degrees.

ok I understand ... thanks @david_r​