Question

File copying feature classes from one FGDB to another?

• 3 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Building a data prep workspace. Have only got 2018 desktop, not Server. I have created a (long) list of feature class filepaths from network-located ESRI FGDB's. These feature classes mostly have differing attribute structures, and there are hundreds of possibles (although only a few dozen being updated at any one time).

Is it possible to use Filecopy writer to a) copy the entire feature class based on a filepath pushed into the writer, b) write it into a new FGDB in a Feature Dataset (name specified by a feature attribute) and c) (preferably) zip it up?

New structure would be :

FGDB1.gdb

feature_dataset1

feature_class3 + feature_class5 + ...

(Eventually, this will go up to Azure blob storage, but there are some permissions obstacles at the moment, I think.)

If it is possible, any suggestions on how to configure the writer would be gratefully received.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @paul_c_2​ I have never tried using a File Copy Writer to copy feature classes from one File Geodatabase to another. Typically we recommend against this type of copy+paste method, but you could give it a test anyway, as long as you have backup copies of the FGDB.

In place of this, you could use the File Path Reader to read in the location of each file geodatabase, then input the attribute containing the file path into the FeatureReader to read the File Geodatabase. From here, you can read each FGDB feature class and then write it to the appropriate location using a FGDB Writer. The FGDB Writer allows for writing to a Feature Dataset, however you cannot assign this via an attribute.

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

If you are familiar with python, I think I would consider an arcpy solution via PythonCaller or PythonCreator.