Question

turn a IfcGlobalUniqueId to a normal GUID and back

• 2 January 2023
  • 2 replies

I have a question; how can we turn a IfcGlobalUniqueId to a normal GUID with FME?

And is it possible to turn it back in a IfcGlobalUniqueId with FME, because of the buildup of a IfcGlobalUniqueId.

I am hoping someone can help me by either passing a bit of Python-code or maybe Safe can create a Custum Transformer to help with this problem?

We want to use a IFC for our asset applications and our 3d city-model.

So, we can use the IFC from our engineering-team to fill the other applications with attributes. And when we need to develop new streets, we can give them the information back.

Beste Regards,

Bert

@Takashi Iijima​ @daveatsafe​ 

2 replies

Badge +2

@bertd​ This blog seems to link to the github code you might need to convert from an IFC GUID representation to GUID.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @bertd​,

The code provided by Mark's link was very helpful when used in a PythonCaller. However, when I tested the process, I found that my sample IFC file had IfcGlobalUniqueId values that did not map properly to UUIDs. This suggests that the creator of the file made the IfcGlobalUniqueId values directly, not by converting from valid UUID values.

This problem is discussed at https://forums.buildingsmart.org/t/ifcgloballyuniqueids-spec-description-is-incorrect-proposal-to-simplify/1083.

FME creates UUIDs then converts them when it writes to IFC files.