Question

Overlay Two Vector Datasets with Satellite Imagery

• 29 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hey Community,

I am trying to map generators/power plants and substations for Texas(ERCOT) region in US. I have got one datasets from HIFLD and the other that I have already(my org). I have created a workbench that preps the data and compares the two data for generators. Also, there are a lot of substations that have got 'Unknown' names and is not possible to compare the two. Is there a possibility where I can run the workbench and it compares the two datasets with satellite imagery(Bing Aerial, OSM, Earth street) and provide a validation result.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

What exactly are you hoping to get from the satellite imagery then?

Badge +1

I am looking froward to do a quality check, like how we do a QC by overlaying vector datasets points on the imagery and check if there is a substation there.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I am looking froward to do a quality check, like how we do a QC by overlaying vector datasets points on the imagery and check if there is a substation there.

FME by itself won't be able to recognize a substation from satellite imagery. A building would be tricky already. You'd have to get an external image classification software -or- human eyes.