Question

I've recently had to migrate ArcGIS Online Data (US to EU) and now when I try to run the tasks, the ArcGIS Online Reader appends random characters to the end of the Feature Layer (screenshot attached) meaning the scheduled task fails.

• 23 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

I've noticed the Features can be read irrespective of if the random string at the end is present or not. They seem to change each day or time I re-add the reader, which doesn't make much sense. The AGO Feature Layers are named fine, permissions are correct, so there's no reason for it to add random characters.

I didn't know if there was anything in FME that might resolve the issue as I cannot run the job unattended. It refuses to read the Feature Layer, though using the GUI I can read the Feature Layer and Attributes just fine.

3 replies

Badge +15

Hi @joe.fme​, that random number should be just the Feature Service ItemID. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you could just ignore it or even remove it manually, the Reader should work the same.

However it is weird what you're saying about the ItemID changing every day. Is somebody re-publishing the feature layer? I can't think of other reason why the ItemID could change. And that would explain why the job can't be run unattended and why that string is changing every time you add the Reader.

You can check the string through the ArcGIS REST Services:

ArcGIS Online Feature Service ItemID

Badge +4

Hi @joe.fme​, that random number should be just the Feature Service ItemID. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you could just ignore it or even remove it manually, the Reader should work the same.

However it is weird what you're saying about the ItemID changing every day. Is somebody re-publishing the feature layer? I can't think of other reason why the ItemID could change. And that would explain why the job can't be run unattended and why that string is changing every time you add the Reader.

You can check the string through the ArcGIS REST Services:

ArcGIS Online Feature Service ItemID

Hi there,

As part of my wider GIS Team there shouldn't be any changes each day to the Feature Layer but that's handy to know where it comes from! Thanks for pointing that out. I tend to be more on the ETL side than the GIS side so more knowledge is handy.

It is odd, but until this morning I have not been able to run it scheduled - but I re-added the readers, removed the ItemID and it seems to be working. For now.

Appreciate the feedback!

Badge +2

@joe.fme​ The Feature Service ItemID is usually the most stable part of the Feature Service identifer. You should be able to read your feature service using only the ID.