Solved

For a workspace where the source data (File Geodatabase) is fed in the workspace as a Required & Published User Parameter. How to ensure EACH user get a prompt window to select source data before running the workspace?

• 22 December 2022
  • 2 replies

I have created a workspace, where the source data (File Geodatabase) is fed in the workspace as a Required & Published User Parameter. The last value chosen gets saved as the default value.

The intention is that each time the workbench is run, the user selects the appropriate File GDB.

When I run the workbench, I get the prompt window to select the appropriate source file (see image 1 attached). However, when a colleague tries to run the same workbench, she doesn't get the prompt to select the source file.

The workaround presently is for the colleague to open the workbench, then go into the "Manage User Parameter" space to enter manually a default value (see image 2 attached). This is however not practical, and we would love for all user to get the same simple experience.

Can anyone advise?

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 23 December 2022, 08:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I can think of a few options, mostly it boils down to teaching your colleagues to work in a specific way though.

1. You can ask them to always run workspaces with the Prompt option, so they always get that parameter box
  2. You can ask them to always make sure the correct FGDB is selected
  3. You can set up a shortcut for them to run the workspace (you'll find the command line for that at the top of the log file) and omit the user parameters from that, so FME asks for it.

If you have FME Server that would be a good way too

I can think of a few options, mostly it boils down to teaching your colleagues to work in a specific way though.

1. You can ask them to always run workspaces with the Prompt option, so they always get that parameter box
  2. You can ask them to always make sure the correct FGDB is selected
  3. You can set up a shortcut for them to run the workspace (you'll find the command line for that at the top of the log file) and omit the user parameters from that, so FME asks for it.

If you have FME Server that would be a good way too

Thanks very much redgeographics!

Your suggested option 1 worked for us... we hadn't realised it was 'off' for my colleague. It is now turned 'on' and it will remain so as default. Simple :)

FME server is an option will look at some point too

Thanks

Picture1