Question

Write to ArcGIS Operational layers in web maps

• 21 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +5

Hello!

this is a long shot, but I hope I might find some help here.

Is there a way using FME to write Operational layers to enterprise web maps?

If you are familiar, there are widgets, like the Drew, which produces an operational layer, which is actually a temporary layer.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thank you!

2 replies

Badge +9

As I understand there is some sort of temporary drawing layer in your webmap that is for single user use only and which is probably regenerated when the user restarts the WebMap. In this case the temporary layer is unique to each user using the WebMap which is a challenge because FME does not know which user it needs to send the data.

I think it might be possible, only not with just FME. I think you might be able to do it with a combination of Workflow5 and FME Server. Workflow5 is an application sold by another vendor. Another option is to build your own custom button that does javascript stuff which is at least free but a lot more complex on the coding side.

General actions: User starts a workflow or a custom script through some sort of button, workflow/script starts a data streamer or data download job(I can't remember the correct one) on FME server which activates workbench. Workbench streams results back to workflow/script and workflow/script adds data to the target layer in the WebMap.

Hello,

You can use FME (Feature Manipulation Engine) to write operational layers to enterprise web maps, including those in ArcGIS. When dealing with temporary layers, such as those created by widgets like Drew, FME provides a flexible solution.

To achieve this:

1. Configure FME Workspace:
  • Set up an FME workspace that reads the data from your source (e.g., Drew's operational layer) and prepares it for writing into the desired format.
  1. Choose Output Format:
  • Determine the format for your enterprise web map (e.g., Esri File Geodatabase, Esri REST API, etc.).
  1. Use FME Transformers:
  • Utilize FME transformers to manipulate the data as needed. For instance, you might need to convert formats, reproject spatial data, or filter features.
  1. Write to ArcGIS Operational Layer:
  • Configure the writer in FME to output the data in a format compatible with ArcGIS operational layers.
  1. Automation:
  • If this process is recurrent, consider automating the FME workspace execution using FME Server or FME Cloud.
  1. Integration with ArcGIS:
  • Once the FME workspace is configured, you can integrate it into your workflow by running it manually or integrating it with other systems.
  1. Testing:
  • Test the FME workspace to ensure that it effectively writes operational layers to your enterprise web map.

Remember, the specifics may vary depending on the details of your workflow, the format of your data, and the requirements of your enterprise web map. The FME documentation and community forums can be valuable resources for more detailed assistance.

I hope this will help you.

Regads

Keshav(DevOps Certification)