Question

How do I *write* a TIN so I can open it in ArcGIS Pro?

• 21 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Using the TINGenerator with 3D points as input, I get edges, triangles, surface and points. This looks fine in the inspector, and I can write the results out as e. g. Multipatch. I would like to write the result(s) (just the surface really) out to be readable by ArcGIS Pro as a TIN, like the result of the "Create TIN" GP tool. How do I do that?

"Esri ASCII Grid" fails no matter the input and the adf writer (the TIN files in the Pro-created TIN folder end with *.adf, mostly) wants to write e00 files.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @clickingbuttons​ you can try writing out the surface to a File Geodatabase Feature Class with the geometry in the Writer Feature Type set to geodb_multipatch.

Alternatively, you could write the file out using the OBJ Writer, and then import the file into ArcGIS Pro using the Import 3D Files tool from the 3D Analyst toolbox. Hope this helps!

Badge +3

ArcGIS Pro 3.1 won't recognise that as a Tin, or more importantly, it won't use it as an Elevation Surface in a 3D Scene. Yeah, it'll read the multipatch as a multipatch...but it won't use it as a ground/elevation surface...but it will accept TINs it creates (when it doesn't fail to create them with the geoprocessing tool).

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

The only way I got this to work is to create a raster like a GeoTiff and use that as an elevation layer.