Question

Compare two lines for geometric differences

• 20 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

I have two lines. One original one, and a generalised version of it.

Is there a way that I can compare the two so I can see if there are any major spatial differences? I want to look for error locations that I need to fix before I smooth again. For example a deviation of over 0.1m between lines

Any help would be great

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

I do this by exploding the lines to points or lines with two vertices using a Chopper and than a ChangeDetector to find the different features.

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

My initial thought is possibly an AnchoredSnapper with the tolerance set to 0.1m, and Snapping Type set to vertex snapping. After that, feed both sets of lines into a LineOnLineOverlayer which should provide you with an _overlaps attribute on the resulting features. Any feature with _overlaps = 1 would be where the line is farther than 0.1m. But that's just theoretical and would need to be tested.

Badge +4

Thanks for the answers @nielsgerrits​ and @dustin​ .

I think the idea with the anchored snapper would work, though what I ended up doing is I split the original line into vertices (I used the VertexExtractor). Then these points could be the base for a NeighbourFinder. This calculates the shortest distance to the smoothed line. Then I simply used a Tester to isolate anything with a distance over my threshold. I then Buffered a shape around the points so I could find the error point in my original drawing